Re: [Xen-users] creating domU's consumes 100% of system resources

  • To: n8&abby <thoughtobject@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:49:51 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:43:54 -0700

n8&abby wrote:
Hello,

I have noticed that when I use xen-create-image to generate an domU, the whole server (dom0 and domU's) basically hangs until it is finished. This happens primarily during the creation of the ext3 filesystem on an LVM partition.

This creation of the file system can take up to 4 or 5 minutes. At which point, any other domU's are basically paused... tcp connections time out.. etc.

I tried 'xm vcpu-set 0 1' to take the dom0 down to one virtual cpu.. but this didn't seem to have any affect.

I don't mind if the generation of new domU's takes 30 minutes, as long the performance of my other domU's are not affected greatly. Any hints on how to fix this problem?
Pre-create the file systems and partitions on the disk images. Write a kickstart image, or manage the creation tool, to assume the disk partitions already exist.