Re: [Xen-users] Xen HVM images on VMware ESX

  • To: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Diwaker Gupta" <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:26:21 -0700
  • Cc: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:26:55 -0700

>  > So basically I want some way to take a qcow image and convert it for
>  > use with ESX.
>
>  Have you tried just converting the qcow to a new vmdk and
>  importing that vmdk into ESX?

Yes I have. I used qemu-image to convert the image to VMDK format.
Then, when creating a new VM in ESX, I used the "Custom" option to
select an existing disk image. Unfortunately, ESX refuses to even
display the converted VMDK for selection. It refuses to display RAW
files created from qemu-img as well. Is there some other way to import
the VMDK into ESX? (I have already copied the VMDK into my storage
pool. It just doesn't show up in the file selection dialog inside the
ESX Virtual Client).

Diwaker
--
http://floatingsun.net/