Re: [Xen-users] dd trough scp with tar

  • To: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:55:21 -0400
  • Cc: CentOS mailing list <centos@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>, centos-virt@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:55:51 -0700

2008/4/26 Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>:
> hi,
>
>  2008/4/25, David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

>  > i will inside virtual machine on ESX boot from Live-CD of CentOS , using dd
>  > i will transfer images trought scp to CentOs machine with xen. I believe
>  > this one should work, machines on ESX are Windows2003 Servers.
>  > So what i need to find is how to write a command which will transfer image
>  > trought scp , but for faster transfer also compress  it before using tar,
> or
>  > gzip.
>  >
>  > so my input will be dd if=/dev/sda1 , my output will be gzipped or tarred
>  > image on second side. sda1.img.gz
>
>  There's also some tools (ntfsclone for one ntfs-aware tool) or g4u for
>  a more centralized whole-disk-image approach that might do the same.

Clonezilla is also a good choice for this ghost/clone approach. It builds in the
ntfsclone, partimage, and dd methods for capturing images. It is quite
flexible, supporting many ways of storing the disk/partition image.

See: http://www.clonezilla.org/