Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Torque

  • To: "Artem Y. Pervin" <artempervin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "rishi pathak" <mailmaverick666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:09:39 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:40:28 -0700

If you are using moab then see :
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/mwm/docs/5.6resourceprovisioning.shtml

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Artem Y. Pervin <artempervin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Xen users.

Have anyone tried to integrate Xen with Torque resource management system?
Could you please help me with an advice for a system I'm developing that relies on torque.
Let me describe the system first.

The part of the system that talks with torque should request a certain amount on nodes of a cluster and launch there a virtual machine instance (one vm instance per host).
Thus the instantiations of virtual machine would result into a virtual cluster (after some iptabling).

I've developed this system already, but it doesn't deal with torque. I have a central utility which send requests to computational nodes to manage vms on these nodes.
And now I'm about to integrate this system with torque.

I've managed to create a script that launches virtual machines on a selected amount of nodes. It looks like this:
on the central host:
----
#!/bin/bash

#PBS -S /bin/bash

pbsdsh -v /home/torque/myscript.sh
----

on nodes:
----
#!/bin/bash

pushd /opt/xen
sudo /usr/sbin/xm create vnode.cfg
popd
----

The problem is that several seconds after the launching the /usr/sbin/xm (either with console or without it) returns the execution control and the torque switches this node to "free" state. But in my case the node should be in "job-exclusive" state all the time the virtual machine on this node is online.

How could I achive this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Artem Pervin

Regards--
Rishi Pathak
National PARAM Supercomputing Facility
Center for Development of Advanced Computing(C-DAC)
Pune University Campus,Ganesh Khind Road
Pune-Maharastra