Re: [Xen-users] Partition vs disk images

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
This is for use at home, so in reality it probably doesn't matter -- I just don't want to
make any *really* stupid moves.  If you need it, general specs on the machine are: quad
core, 8GB ram, a 160GB boot volume and then 4x320 raid5.  The 160GB will contain the disk
>images while the raid5 will be allocated for "data" (database, file server,
myth, etc).

I have this exact config at home :) Only difference would be the raid type and
controller I am sure, I used a pretty high end LSI SAS Card with sata's hung
off it. I would seriously recommend LVM, its so flexible, and I would take that
raid 5 and replace it with mirrors personally, but you are using it at home I
guess. Most people forget to factor in the downside to raid 5: Slow regens that
kill performance while being non redundant during the only one possible failure
it could have.

Godo luck!
jlc

But is there really a performance difference between LVM & file based VM's?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com