RE: [Xen-users] xen dom0 32 bits memory is limited to 16GB?

  • To: "Marco Strullato" <marco.strullato@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:35:39 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:36:28 -0700

Marco Strullato wrote:

> I've already tried the first solution but it has a big issue: with a
> 64 bit configuration (dom0 @64bits and kernel @64 bits, xen 3.2 built
> from the src.rpm from the xen web site) I can not save nor migrate
> domUs running at 32 bits.
> I get this error:
>
> [2008-04-28 14:00:16 2283] ERROR (XendCheckpoint:141) Save failed on
> domain TEST (2).
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 109, in save
>     forkHelper(cmd, fd, saveInputHandler, False)
>   File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 351, in forkHelper
>     raise XendError("%s failed" % string.join(cmd))
> XendError: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 4 2 0 0 0 failed

That shouldn't happen. Maybe a bug in the latest Xen? Maybe a
misconfiguration in dom0?

> This is probably due to the different architecture (32 and 64 bits)
> from the dom0 to domUs: I suppose, although the documentation says the
> opposite, that xen dom0 @64 bits can not handle correctly many
> operations. I mean, with 54 bits dom0 I can start/stop a 32 bit domU
> but I can not use a very big number of features.
>
> See the faq:
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq#head-5f7176b3909cb0382cece43a6a8fc25a3a114e93

The wiki page describes the compatibility matrix, but doesn't mention
that there is a limited feature set.

I can verify that there is a problem with Xen 3.2 running the 64-bit
hypervisor with a 32-bit dom0, but that's the only problem I have
encountered so far.

-Ross