RE: [Xen-users] Running MS Terminal Server and MS Small BusinessServerunder Xen?

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:46:15 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:47:14 -0700

>Jamie J. Begin wrote:
>>
>> I have the crazy idea to run both Microsoft Terminal Server
>> and Small Business Server (SBS is a license-restricted
>> version of Windows Server with Exchange for shop with <50
>> users) in separate HVM domUs.  Assuming that I have a beefy
>> enough underlying hardware, how likely do you think this
>> would work?  I know that Exchange isn't one of those apps
>> that are ideally suited for virtualization, but this would
>> only be handling email for about 15 users.
>
>For 15 users you can get away with just about anything...
>
>Exchange can be virtualized, it's the storage that really
>matters and with iSCSI and the ability to create multiple
>exchange virtual servers to distribute the load it can
>be made to scale in a virtualized environment.
>
> -Ross

iSCSI is a bit beyond what I'd be looking at for this project.  ;-)  What's
more likely is a 2U Dell server with six 146GB 10k SAS drives in a RAID5/6
config.  Disk IO is my biggest concern if I attempt to do this.  Any tips or
tricks?  I'd hate to recommend that a $5k server be purchased and then have
this blow up in my face...