Re: [Xen-users] How to Export COM port to guest domain

Nick Couchman wrote:
I don't think it's quite this hard. For a Linux domU, here are the lines I add to export the com port to my domU:

irq=[ 4 ]

ioports=[ "3f8-3ff" ]

The original post was asking about fully virtualized guests. I believe this suggestion only works for PV guests.

For the Windows HVM domU end of things, it's been a while since I did it, but I'm pretty sure just adding the following got me the necessary access to the com port:

serial="/dev/ttyS0"

I think that may actually work. I remember having a conversation with someone else about this now. My device manager does indeed show COM1, which according to QEMU is redirected to /dev/ttyS0.

Now I just need several more COM ports, and I'm in business.

My servers don't support VT-d and I'm not running Xen 3.2. As far as USB devices go, I'm not sure, but my example domU files have things like "usbdevice='xxx'" - I'm not sure what types of USB devices you can push through, maybe just the default mouse and tablet support.

There is currently no support in Xen for passing USB devices to fully-virtualized guests. With VT-d you can pass an entire controller. And of course, even without VT-d you can pass a USB controller to a PV guest.

Regards,

Jeff