Re: [Xen-users] Live migration not permanent?

  • To: "Rudi Ahlers" <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:28:41 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 19 May 2008 07:29:13 -0700

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So, how does one move a domU from one physical server to another physical
>>> server if there's no shared storage in between?
>>
>> Live? It won't work. Unless the guest does not base on any kind of storage
>> (i.e., everything was started in a hugish initrd).
>>
>> If offline, just copy storage, config...

Yeah... I usually just scp the filesystem image from Host A to Host B,
copy the config file likewise, and start the guest on Host B.

Migration in Xen is a bit different than migration in VMWare...

Another thing I've tried to varying success is to create a guest, the
make a tarball of the guest and it's config, and save that tarball on
a storage server so I can deploy that same guest to multiple machines.
 That's just something I do to ease testing... and it doesn't always
work... but simply copying the guest filesystem from one machine to
another along with its config file works just fine.

Cheers
Jeff