Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.9.5 of GPL PV Drivers for Windows

On Sunday June 01 2008 09:22:44 am James Harper wrote:
> 've just made my first ever attempt at an Nullsoft installer, so if you
> want to try it download "Xen PV Drivers 0.9.5.exe" from
> http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/

I heartily recommend following the uninstall directions on:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing

Uninstalling

If you are upgrading from a pre-0.9.0 release, you will need to completely
purge the old drivers from your system.

    *

      Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
    *

      Search for all occurences of UpperFilter or LowerFilter keys containing
xenhide.sys and delete them
    * Delete Services\Xen* (anything in Services starting with Xen)
    * Reboot, making sure not to select a boot entry that specifies /GPLPV

I was particularly surprised that there were still lots of Upper/LowerFilters
specifying xenhde that remove_xenhide_0.8.x.reg didn't catch. And I was
surprised that the Services\Xen* entries still made reference to the Wdf
versions, including one entry that was still at 1.5 instaed of 1.7. I then
went further and tried to delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Xen

but it wouldn't let me, even tho' a subkey of vbd referenced an UpperFilter
for xenaddresource. I then went into Add & Remove Programs and tried to
delete all the 'Windows Driver Package - Xen GPL PV Driver Developers (Xen*)
System (02/21/2008 0.8.0.0)' entries successfully. This removed all Xen PV
devices from Device Manager. It also removed all System Board devices for
some reason - but I haven't rebooted yet.

I then ran the .exe installer. While installing, I clicked on 'Details' and
saw, after the extraction phase:

Updating the driver...
Driver update has failed. (XP:0,-536870655)
Installing the driver...
Updating the driver...
The device is not plugged in, cannot update the driver.
Installing the driver...
[click on the first not signed warning]
Updating the driver...
The device is not plugged in, cannot update the driver.
Installing the driver...
[click on the second not signed warning]
[repeat above 4 lines for the third not signed warning]
[repeat the above 3 non bracketed lines 2 times]
Completed

Still no Xen PV devices in Device Manager, so I rebooted w/o /gplpv, which was
almost immediate, w/o the usual Shutting Down screen. Still no Xen PV
devices, or System Board devices. (Yeah, I'm being careful :-) Then I
rebooted w/ /gplpv. Qemu & Realtek still in control, no Xen PV or System
Board devices, even when you tick 'Show Hidden Devices'. Then ran the .exe
installer again. Same 'Detail' output as before, w/o any 'not signed' boxes
to click on. Rebooted w/ /gplpv again. No change. (Btw, there are no xen
anything programs in Add/Remove Programs, either. Nor were any of the
xen*.sys files in c:\windows\system32\drivers updated.)

I then tried installing 0.9.4. (Previous version installed was 0.9.2.) Install
was uneventful, and last screen said XenPCI Install failed, and all others
said 'Ready to use', The xen*.sys files in c:\windows\system32\drivers are
still from 0.9.2, and no appropriate devices in Device Manager. I then ran
Add Hardware Wizard, and told it to search automatically for new hardware and
got nothing.

I then shutdown, and started up again w/ /gplpv. No change.

Now I have to decide whether I want to do a virgin install of another winxp
domu.