RE: [Xen-users] Re: FW: Xen Backups

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Alspach" <jalspach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:57:50 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:58:25 -0700

Wow...nice! This sounds like it would work great for guests that have a
healthy command line (*NIX) but can you do the same thing on a Windows
guest?
I can see connecting to a windows server and then stopping some of the
services but I am not sure how to mount or unmount a file system in
windows.
Also, forgive my ignorance but, if you had a problem could you just
reinstall the snapshot and restart it?

Is your script available somewhere or would you mind sharing it?

Thanks;
James

PS How about SAN based snapshots (on equipment other than the Netstor)?
Is this something that people expect Xensource to support in the future?

James Alspach
Systems Analyst II
Shasta County Office of Education

to:
> - stop and start 3 services
> - backup OpenLDAP and PostgreSQL
> - unmount / mount 6 filesystems
> - detach / attach 6 filesystems
> - create 6 snapshots
>
> The script I use also has error-handling implemented in case any
action
> fails.
> This will prevent, for example, a detach-attempt to take place on
still
> mounted filesystems.
>
> HTH,
>
> Joost Roeleveld
>

> > Best regards,
> >     Christian
> >
> > James Alspach wrote:
> > > How do most people backup their VM's?  I understand that the
suggested
> > > method right now is to install your backup client just as you
would if
> > > you were backing up a physical server.  It just feels like you
should
> be
> > > able to snapshot the entire VM instead of worrying about just the
> data.
> > >
> > > For instance, how difficult it would be to script taking a VM
offline,
> > > exporting it and then bringing it back online.  To me this sounds
like
> > > good way to backup your VM's  (as long as you can stand them being
> > > offline for some amount of time while they export).  If you could
back
> > > up this way recovering from a disaster should be fairly painless.
Just