Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

  • To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ray Barnes" <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:35:48 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 20:36:19 -0700

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now I know how far you got. Maybe vnc doesn't have anything to say, because of
> a mis-configuration of the frame buffer. I'm not sure how you created the
> domu, but on CentOS dom0 and with virt-manager, it should have set that up
> for you correctly. Since this is Debian w/xen 3.2.1, double check your domu's
> xorg.conf. (ssh into the domain, or shut it down and mount it.) Modern xens
> (since 3.1.2) use the video device 'fbdev'. Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> before and after any changes. Hope that was more helpful.

Thanks Jim.  I have no xorg.conf:

debian:/dev# find / -print|grep -i xorg
debian:/dev#

I'm also trying to figure out what bearing xorg has on this, being
paravirtualized.  Are you saying that xorg is mandatory in order to
receive the text output of the console via VNC?  For absolute clarity,
I have no interest in running X or VNC on the domU.  Although I did
install it via 'apt-get -y install xorg' I could find no reference to
fbdev in xorg.conf.  Are there alternatives, i.e. backported kernels
from Lenny/Sid?

-Ray