[Xen-users] Re: Exporting the graphics card to a domU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Christopher Isip" <cmisip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 00:10:14 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:10:48 -0700

Well, it seems what I am trying to achieve which is basically X11 in a
domU is not possible at this time with nvidia drivers anyway.  I tried
with both Ubuntu Hardy  and Centos 5 domU's.  With ubuntu, the nvidia
driver compiles but cannot load due to missing kprot symbols.  With
Centos5, it comiles and loads but I get :
Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer (0x000a0000,0x20000) (Bad address)

and a quick flash on the screen.

I cant even run a nvidia driver in dom0.  Everything seems ok and I
have a graphical boot, but as soon as the sytem tries to autologin,
then the computer crashes.

I think this is related to what I see in my other machine that runs
the mythtv backend domU.  For some reason, If I log in physically at
the machine, the mythtv domU crashes when I start it.  If I log in
remotely and start the mythtv domU, it starts fine.  Also If I start
my asterisk domU first, it fails to allocate memory to eth0 ( a
pciback ethernet card ).  So I start the mythtv domU and then the
asterisk domU and then the rest of the other domU's which having no
pciback devices, will boot up ok in any order.

This is what I still dont understand with xen configuration.  I
believe it has something to do with swiotlb.  One of my aims for
xenifying things is to be able to replicate the servers easily on
another machine should I have a catastrophic hardware failure, but I
feel that not knowing the nuances of swiotlb would impede this.  I
cant guarantee that I could replicate exactly the same memory
environment in a new machine, If I dont understand how things work in
the current machine.   Perhaps some xen gurus could provide insights.

Thanks
Chris