RE: [Xen-users] Windows Disk performance

Hi Russ;

I have to do disk performance all the time and I use IOmeter heavily.
Have a look at this article:

http://blogs.orcsweb.com/jeff/archive/2008/01/09/disk-usage-and-capacity
.aspx

The author explains how you can use Microsoft (Sysinternals) Diskmon to
capture your existing workload (the one generated by the database
application you want to simulate) and then helps you to calculate that
specific workload in IOmeter.  Once configured you can try out your
workload with various disk configurations / SAN's etc without having to
build your database application on top of every possible scenario.  It
even provides a spreadsheet to convert all the data into the correct
parameters that you need to feed into IOmeter.  It lets you get through
a bunch of "what if's" quickly.  I recently used this to isolate a
problem with an application that uses Microsoft SQL 2000 that started to
misbehave after a SAN upgrade.  We quickly determined that moving the
SQL database from a SAN with Write Back caching enabled to one with
Write Through Caching had a massive performance impact based on the way
the app writes data, not the amount of data being written.  It just
happened to be the way the app needed to use the disk.

My advice is that if you really want to know how something in particular
is going to perform in a new environment, capture the workload
characteristics and then play them back in that environment.  I recently
sent some performance stats to the list for the PVGPL 0.9.5 drivers that
include the workload I'm describing.  I will run the same tests again
now that James has released 0.9.7 along with the iometer configuration.
Also be careful when publishing performance stats not to violate
anyone's EULA.  I know VMware, in particular, are sticky about that :-).

Best Regards

Geoff