Re: [Xen-users] Booting DomU gives XENBUS errors

On Saturday June 07 2008 07:31:11 pm odin odin wrote:
> I'm trying to boot my domU based on rhel4 and i have build a custom initrd
> for it with the xenblk and xennet, but with partial sucess. I can boot and
> the following errors appear and i cannot get network. If i do ifconfig -a
> only lo iface appears.

From your config's kernel= and ramdisk= lines, you seem to using F8 as a dom0.
Once you get your network back up in your domu, just yum install the
kernel-xen package, which does a good job of calculating what modules your
domu needs, and then you can use pygrub.

> XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/console/0
>  XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51713
>  XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51714
>  XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0

AFAIK, this are just initialization messages that indicate xen needs to find
drivers later in the boot process.

> vif = [ '' ]

It's a good idea to include a MAC parm in your vif= statement, rather than let
xen randomly use one on each boot. Do an 'xm list -l sometest' to find out
what it is using now, and hardcode it into your config.

> -------INITRD------------
> mkinitrd -f --preload=xenblk --with=xenblk --with=xennet --with=ext3
> --with=jbd --with=ata_piix --with=libata --with=e1000 --with=i2c_i801
> --with=i2c_core --with=bridge --with=netloop --with=ipv6 --with=ip_tables
> --with=iptable_filter --with=loop  --omit-scsi-modules --omit-raid-modules
> --omit-lvm-modules initrd-2.6.21.7-3.fc8xen.1.img 2.6.21.7-3.fc8xen

This is probably your problem: you are loading xennet and e1000. Since I don't
see any pci passthrough messages in your dmesg, remove the e1000 part, and
let xennet grab the virtual interface.

> Creating root device.
> Mounting root filesystem.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>  Setting up other filesystems.
> Setting up new root fs
> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
> Switching to new root and running init.
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
>  SELinux:  Disabled at runtime.
> audit(1212878650.213:2): selinux=0 auid=4294967295
> INIT: version 2.85 booting
> Setting default font (): [  OK  ]

This is a normal end of boot message, with EXT3-fs mounted. If you need to
login with 'xm create sometest -c' on the xen console (as opposed to a vnc
window), make sure you have a getty in your domu's /etc/inittab file in the
getty section:

co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100-nav

and you have the xvc0 device listed in your /etc/securetty file. Or else just
use vnc.