Re: [Xen-users] GPLV Drivers 0.9.8 Windows Server 2k3r2 on Debian Etch 64-bit + Backports + Xen 3.2.1 Crashed on first boot.

Joti Mail wrote:
Hello all,

some hours ago I found out that there exist GPLed PV drivers for Windows HVM DomUs. Actually a highly appreciated and cool thing.

I got them from
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv

and installed them like told there after I read that no major show stoppers exist. (not knowing that there is a subpage
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing)

The configuration used here is
GPLV Drivers 0.9.8 Windows Server 2k3r2 32-bit on Debian Etch 64-bit + Backports + Xen 3.2.1 .

Added the /GPLPV parameter to my Windows DomU and rebooted.
Just like it is written on the /Installing page, I am screwed now with a Windows DomU hanging on the Windows Screen with the running load indicator.
I did not experience a BSOD and the install of the tools went fine.
I have the same problem with my Win2K3 system.

I did try to mount the Filesystem (which is stored in a LVM) with ntfs-3g tools, didn't work, ntfs-3g said, I could not find the ntfs signature (so I suppose that this actually might be some qcow or something written in a lvm).

Would removing the /GPLPV option from boot.ini still work and result in a living system? Or do I need to reinstall the entire thing?
Once I've installed the drivers I can't boot with or without /gplpv. I haven't tried mounting the NTFS partition to see if it's readable.

I tried to start the thing with and without type:ioemu parameters for harddisk and network in the xen config file. No difference.

If someone could
- help me in some way to reanimate my Windows DomU
- add a link to the /Installing Wiki-Page on the main GPLPV Page

that would be highly appreciated and very nice :)
Whenever I install these drivers I take a copy of my domU and install the drivers in a running copy. James has stated multiple times that they are not yet ready for production use and to use at your own risk. If you installed them in your only domU and now it won't boot then I think you may need to reinstall it. Have you tried booting in Safe Mode and manually un-installing the drivers?

As for the wiki, it's a wiki so you can edit the page and add the link.