Re: [Xen-users] GPLV Drivers 0.9.8 Windows Server 2k3r2 on Debian Etch 64-bit + Backports + Xen 3.2.1 Crashed on first boot.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Joti Mail <joti.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:49:32 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:50:21 -0700

Hello James,

thank you for your fast answer :)

I already was able to fix it by using the Windows Setup Repair function. I wrote the solution in another mail, which obviously went to someone else, I will redirect it to the list.

Concerning the time I waited for something to happen. I estimate about 5-10 minutes. I skimmed through the xen-log files and found something that looked like it would have some disk-access problems but nothing too specific.

If you are interested I could add my fixing experience with this case to the Wiki if it would help.

Your suggestion with fdisk sounds good, I would not have had the idea with the offset - maybe that would fit in a "Possible install problems and how to (maybe) fix them" in the wiki.

The current status is that it is now up and running quite well, the felt speed increase is actually ~30-50% . I will conduct measurements with iperf and some disk speed programm later on as it too late now.

Thanks you and regards :)
Joti

James Harper schrieb:
and installed them like told there after I read that no major show
stoppers exist. (not knowing that there is a subpage
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing)

There is a link to it... obviously not a prominent enough one.

The configuration used here is
GPLV Drivers 0.9.8 Windows Server 2k3r2 32-bit on Debian Etch 64-bit +
Backports + Xen 3.2.1 .

Added the /GPLPV parameter to my Windows DomU and rebooted.
Just like it is written on the /Installing page, I am screwed now with
Windows DomU hanging on the Windows Screen with the running load
indicator.
I did not experience a BSOD and the install of the tools went fine.

How long did you let it run for? If it fails to start up a block device
or network device for some reason it could hang for a few minutes. It
should eventually either load or crash with a 0x7b bug check indicating
that it couldn't find a boot device.

I did try to mount the Filesystem (which is stored in a LVM) with
ntfs-3g tools, didn't work, ntfs-3g said, I could not find the ntfs
signature (so I suppose that this actually might be some qcow or
something written in a lvm).

Try the following:

fdisk /dev/vgname/lvname
u (to change units)
p (to print the partition table)
q (to quit)

Find the partition you are interested in - probably the first one - and
note the starting sector (probably 63). Multiply that starting sector by
512 and use that number as the offset in a mount command, eg:

mount -oloop,offset=32256 /dev/vgname/lvname /mnt

or as the offset in a losetup command.

The problem is that your lv is a disk image not a filesystem image, so
you have to use the offset.

Alternatively, pass the disk image to another windows DomU and tinker
with it from there as the D: or E: drive.

Would removing the /GPLPV option from boot.ini still work and result
in
a living system? Or do I need to reinstall the entire thing?

Depends on what went wrong. If you can, please persist with it as I'd
like to know what went wrong for you so I can reproduce it and fix it.
The install page does say to have two boot entries, one with gplpv and
the other without.

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry it didn't go so smoothly.

James