Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 7.x and 8x as Xen Guest OS

  • To: "Joti Mail" <joti.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "a s p a s i a" <aspasia.sf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:37:49 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:38:22 -0700

Hello there,

Wanted to update;  I am trying this route - upgrading from 606-610
then 7x ..... hoping that the qemu driver will not be removed ....

question:  i followed ubuntu instructions to upgrade dapper to edgy
... it upgraded and rebooted fine - kernel has been upgraded:

uname -a
Linux ubuntu-base 2.6.15-51-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 12
16:56:43 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@ubuntu-base:/etc/apt#

BUT ... seems like some configuration is still not changed - like the /etc/issue

 cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS \n \l

and the /etc/apt/sources.list still shows dapper ...

any tips to refresh this?  I'm googling thru ubuntu forum too

- a.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Joti Mail <joti.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did you try to just to apt-install update-manager-core and
> do-release-upgrade -p ?
>
> I'm using this with xen-tools here as a standard procedure
> 1. create dapper (6.06) domU
> 2. update everything, install update-manager-core
> 3. upgrade the thing.
>
> Remember:
>
> - The standard Kernel of Ubuntu 8.04 is terribly broken when used with Xen.
> (and STILL not fixed although known & fixed by someone else for VERY long
> time).
> - You can either use the Dom0 kernel or install the fixed kernel
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/218126
>
> Hope to have helped.
>
> --Joti
>
> a s p a s i a schrieb:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a Xen kernel running on a CentOS 5.1:
>>  xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> The Xen versions I have are:
>>
>> rpm -qa | grep xen
>> kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5
>> xen-libs-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>> xen-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>> xen-devel-3.0.3-41.el5_1.6
>>
>> So far I have a few Guest DOMU's installed successfully - various
>> CentOS flavors ...
>>
>> 1.  I am able to successfully install Ubuntu 6.06 as a Xen guest
>>
>> 2.  I try to add Ubuntus 7.04, 7.10, 8.x ... (all these for SW
>> compatibility testing) - but I am unable to boot AFTER the first
>> Ubuntu splash screen appears and I select Install from CD - then it
>> simply attempts to reboot, and I think it's unable to mount a hard
>> drive, not sure, but a quick flash and then the virt-manager window
>> just turns blank.
>>
>> I have tried to google, but unable to exactly pinpoint if any known
>> issues with these versions of Ubuntu as a Xen guest exists.
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> aspasia.

A S P A S I A