Re: [Xen-users] which OS + which Xen version to get Linux X64 dom0 + Windows dumU working? -I'm desperate

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi all

I hope someone can please help me with this one.

My end goal: To setup a dom0 Linux server, running 64bit Linux (for server with 16GB+ RAM) & have a Windows (2003 / 2008) domU running on top of it.

So far, I have tried:
CentOS 5.1 + default XEN, no luck
CentOS 5.1 + recompiled XEN 3.2, no luck

I don't even get as far as Windows CD booting up, I don't even get the console.

The I have tried Ubuntu Server 8.0.4, and had some weird, first time errors, that no one had seen, and I had to fill a bug report.

So, I have tried Fedora Core 7, and it kept hanging on bootup if I boot up with the default Xen kernel. When I bootup without Xen, it boots fine.

The server will be in a production hosting environment, so I need to know that the combination I use will be stable. Can someone please make a good recommendation for this?

I have it running in CentOS 5.1 with Xen 3.2. I believe the default Xen will work as well for windows 2003, but not for 2008.
Binaries and a mini-how to is on my blog.

http://www.ruslansivak.com/index.cfm/2008/6/9/Xen-32-on-CentOS-51--x8664--RHEL-51-x8664

Russ

Thanx

What you have posted here is what I know already, so it didn't help much :)

But, this time I have decided to install Gnome onto CentOS, and try virtmanager. Although I'm unable to install Windows 2003 onto a LVM volume, I could install it as a file partition. Then I realized one of the reasons I could never get it to work, is cause I'm trying to install it remotely onto a server without X, using SSH. And since Linux boots up fine this way, and I see a graphical installed, Windows needs full graphics to start up.

So, how do I install Windows via SSH then?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com