Re: [Xen-users] which OS + which Xen version to get Linux X64 dom0 + Windows dumU working? -I'm desperate

Age_M wrote:
Hi Rudi,

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Age_M wrote:
Hi Rudi,

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:
My end goal: To setup a dom0 Linux server, running 64bit Linux (for server with 16GB+ RAM) & have a Windows (2003 / 2008) domU running on top of it.
that shouldn't be that tricky.

So far, I have tried:
CentOS 5.1 + default XEN, no luck
CentOS 5.1 + recompiled XEN 3.2, no luck
haven't tried CentOS or Fedora yet
I'd prefer to stick with these, since I know it very well, and our control panel manufacturers recommend it.

I don't even get as far as Windows CD booting up, I don't even get the console.
Console? You need to use VNC or if you're running an X-server on your dom0 you could also use SDL. Did you try to start Windows with "xm create <config> -c"?

Yes, I have started the domU via xm create -c /etc/xen/windows2003, and can see it running as well. The problem comes into connecting to you, and now that you mention it, I probably need VNC, but how do I tell VNC to assign an IP to that domU if Windows is not running yet (and I haven't created an IP for it yet)? I have been able to setup Windows 2003, using virt manager in Gnome, on CentOS 5.0 x64, but I need to set it up via SSH on a remote server. Any tips?
That is quite simple:
1. Edit your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and search for
#(vnc-listen '127.0.0.1')
change it to
(vnc-listen '0.0.0.0')

You could also set a password with
(vncpasswd '<yourpasswordhere>')

save the file and restart xend or reboot

2. Edit your HVM-DomU config file:
add a new line with

vnc=1

save the file and start your domU

Use the realvnc-viewer to connect to your dom0 (not domU)

That should be it :-D

Greetz Age_M
This is probably why I haven't tried it yet. From what I understand, this will allow me to VNC directly to the dom0, but what if the server doesn't have X installed (and I can't / don't want to install X?)

So, how do I set it up so that the VNC listener will work directly with the windows2003 domU ?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com