Re: [Xen-users] Other virtualization technologies alongside xen?

  • To: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:01:05 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Ronner <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:01:45 -0700

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, he means that OpenVZ is installed inside of his Xen dom0.  OpenVZ actually does run on top of Xen, but it's in dom0, not in a domU.

-Nick

On 13 Jun 2008, at 16:13, Andrzej Wolski wrote:

> I'm saying that on physical server I have openvz server and xen dom0
> _next_ to each other, not on top of each other.

You mean you're running openvz on one machine and xen on another?

kqemu works with xen and that's about it. On my server VMware will load it's module and the interface will open but it won't start any VMs. Virtualbox will drop your server like a rock as soon as you load the device driver. I've heard of people running hypervisors inside of VMware though. KVM and Xen are incompatible of course but that's expected since they're doing the same thing.

OpenVZ/Virtuozzo should work because they're not really Virtual Machines.

I'm going to be running VirtualBox and qemu together because I'm using vbox for a project but I need a mips machine and qemu will do that and the two play nice or at least it seems like they do. The real mips machine is 266mhz so even though qemu is slow I think it will be fine on a Xeon...

Grant