Re: [Xen-users] simple question - amd64 dom0, and PVM i486 domU ?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:24:24 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:25:03 -0700

rabbtux rabbtux wrote:
I've been looking for a solution that doesn't involve dual booting, or
chrooting things to get my x86 domU to work.  I have a Debian xen
server on an amd64 platform.  It would seem that I should be able to
also install or force the install of a non-xen i486 kernel.

Is there such a thing as i486?

Once I have both kernels installed in dom0, can't I just
boot the server off the xen-amd64 kernel, and build a para-virtualized
 debian domU, referencing the i486 kernel in /boot ?

I'm not familiar with Debian Etch, but assuming that you want to create a NEW PV-i386 domU on amd64 dom0, you'll going to need Xen >= 3.1 (go with 3.2.1, if possible), which supports 32bit PV domU on 64bit dom0.

In RH-based distros the convention is to put domU's kernel on domU's storage (not on dom0's boot), so each domU boots from their own /boot (using pygrub). This way you'll only need amd64-xen kernel on dom0 and i386-xen kernel on domU.

Regards,

Fajar