Re: [Xen-users] unable to access Linux HVM via xm console - Couldnot read tty from store: No such file or directory

HVM = fully virtualized. The question is, why are you using fully virtualized domUs? Why not paravirtualized (PV)?

Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> why you're using hvm ? its slow
>

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm running CentOS 5.1 x64 + Xen 3.0 & I have setup a CentOS 5.1 x64
>> domU as a HMV. For the setup I used VNC, but I would prefer to be
>> able to access it via "xm console cPanel" via SSH directly.
>>
>> Here's the output cPanel HVM:
>>
>> [root@pc-00059 ~]# more /etc/xen/cPanel
>> name = "cPanel"
>> uuid = "ff940501-507d-04ca-e590-831e79ba0397"
>> maxmem = 6144
>> memory = 6144
>> vcpus = 2
>> builder = "hvm"
>> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
>> boot = "c"
>> pae = 1
>> acpi = 0
>> apic = 0
>> on_poweroff = "destroy"
>> on_reboot = "restart"
>> on_crash = "restart"
>> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
>> sdl = 0
>> vnc = 0
>> vncunused = 2
>> #disk = [
>> "phy:/dev/data/cPanel,hda,w","file:/data/storage/CentOS-5.1-x86_64-bin-1of7.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r"
>> ]
>> disk = [ "phy:/dev/data/cPanel,hda,w" ]
>> vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:4e:9b:48,bridge=xenbr0,type=ioemu" ]
>> serial = "pty"
>> usb = 1
>> usbdevice = 'tablet'
>>

>> When I try and connect to it via console, I get the following:
>> [root@pc-00059 ~]# xm console cPanel
>> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
>> [root@pc-00059 ~]#
>>

>> Reading through all the email archives, I found a few similar
>> problems, but the suggested fixes doesn't help. Does anyone know how
>> to get xm console to work for HVM type domU's ?

mmm, now that I think of it. I setup fully virtualized hosts, not HVM -
my bad.....

--

ok, so I had the right words :)

as far as I understand, HVM is the only way to get Windows, or rather unmodified OS', installed onto Linux, right? Or is there another way? I setup Windows like this, and simply copied the Windows HMV (/etc/xen/windows2003) to a new one for Linux (/etc/xen/cPanel) and installed Linux onto it.

Should I rather have used a non-virtualized (is this referred to as paravirtualized ?) installation? But would I then be able to install say Ubuntu onto CentOS as a PV? Doesn't Ubuntu use a different kernel than the Red Hat family (Red Hat, Fedora Core, CentOS)?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com