[Xen-users] SR Creation

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Alspach" <jalspach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:16:35 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:17:10 -0700

About a month ago I ran some initial tests of iSCSI SR’s in XenSource.  As a new user I wanted to learn how to set them up and how they worked.  That all went great.  Now I am trying to set up our production environment and am running into problems.

It turns out that when I tested I used the software initiator and not the HBA’s.  The instruction I found said to use lvmoiscsi but now I see that I should have used lvmohba since we are using QLogic iSCSI HBA’s. I discovered this because, after these tests, we moved all of the HBA’s onto a separate VLAN and set up jumbo frames.  Therefore, when I attempted to connect the old way (lvmoiscsi) it did not work, obviously I was on the wrong network and the network I was on did not support jumbo frames.

Now when I go to the command line and run:

xe sr-probe type=lvmohba device-config:target=10.1.4.100

I get a more or less empty dev list. All that is returned is the host, name, manufacturer and id.  I do not get any other info.

What am I missing?

I can ping the iSCSI host using the tools in the QLogic software but only up to a packet size of somewhere over 1450; 1475 and above fails. This makes me think that the MTU on the VLAN is set wrong which I am looking into now.

Are there any other checks I should do to narrow this down?

Thanks;

James

James Alspach
Systems Analyst II