[Xen-users] Windows DomU VT-d SMP Issues

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Darren Foo <darrenfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:24:39 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:25:12 -0700

Hi,

I'm having some CPU usage issues with my Windows DomU (vcpu=1). Initially,
CPU-Z, CPU Rightmark would show that the CPU multiplier on my Intel quad core
Q6600 (2.4Ghz) was constantly flipping between x9 and x6. I ended up disabling
Intel SpeedStep, C1E, and hardcoded the multiplier which seemed to stop the
flipping. Now my problem is my TV streaming app will sometimes hit 100% CPU
utilization and the streaming client stutters. When I try and set vcpu=2  it
boots fine and all apps seem to work ok. But when I try to stream my TV, it
fails. Application logs say that the client timed out. I ran a tcpdump to
compare betwee vcpu=1 and 2 the only difference I can see is an RTSP ACK from
the client with vcpu=2 which I don't see with vcpu=1. The TV streaming app uses
my VT-d passed through DVB PCI card. I'm not running the GPLPV drivers since
they currently disable my DVB card. I initially suspected UDP traffic might be
affected in SMP Windows HVM, so I tried
 Iperf with UDP. When the Windows DomU has vcpu=2, remote IPerf UDP client to
Windows DomU works, but Windows DomU to remote IPerf UDP server fails. However,
I also tried a UDP connection using netcat which worked fine. Not sure what
else to try. Any ideas? I have 4 cores, I'd like for my Windows DomU to use 2
of them if possible.

Thanks

Darren