Re[Xen-users] commended Hard Drive Partitioning Scheme for Debian Etch Dom0 Xen LVM Setup

Hello Friends,

After over 30 hours of scouring the web for a recent comprehensive guide of
installing Xen on Debian Etch I feel like I have no choice but to post here
(my first mailing list post!).

I found many goot guides, but it seems that they all lack:
    A. recommended partitioning scheme
and/or
    B. LVM set up

**************************************
I was following the http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 guide and
everything went well for a while, but the [new] Xen version was incompatible
with some of the instructions so I set out to look for a more recent guide
and found out that there is a much easier way to install Xen (from sources)
now and that I should use LVM.

The above link was the only one that gave the detailed partitioning
recommendations I needed:

â       /boot 150 MB (Primary) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
(ext3)
(Bootable flag: on <-- important, otherwise your system will not boot!)
â       swap 1GB (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
â       / 3GB (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning) (ext3)
â       /vserver the rest (Logical) (Location for the new partition: Beginning)
(ext3)

Unfortunately it is missing instructions for using LVM.

This guide mentions LVM, but has proprietary partitioning scheme and old Xen
version: http://www.d7031.de/text/xen_with_lvm_under_etch.shtml

http://www.cosmocode.de/en/blogs/gohr/20070130123639/ - This guide gets very
close covering both, but it is outdated and I am wary about mixing the
original guide's ( http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 )
partitioning scheme and this one.

I also was hoping to achieve the internal routing and the best guides that
seem to cover that are the original guide I mentioned and the
http://xgu.ru/wiki/Xenomips/en (later one is a bit beyond me at this time).

**************************************

I am sorry for the convoluted first post - I think it reflects my mind state
at this time! XD

I would like to introduce myself to all of you: My name is Evan, I am a *NIX
newbie, I have been "messing about" with Linux distos since 2001 and about
as long with FreeBSD. Unfortunately I have not ventured far beyond GUI and
always came back to Windows XP.

Lately I was put in charge of creating a test set up for our startup so I
have been forced to learn many things at once while producing some sort of
positive results on a very tight schedule.

We have decided that a Xen setup running on top of Etch was the way to go,
but actually implementing such a setup has proven to be very challenging.

I would appreciate any help, but please keep in mind my limited linux and
non-gui experience (I'm just learning to appreciate vi).

**************************************

Hardware:

I have 2 Xen candidates:

1. ML570 2G Server with 4 2.4GHz Xeons, 2GB PC 2100 Ram (6GB more coming)
and 6 15k 73GB SCSI drives (and 6 more to come) running on the the LSI 320-2
controller in Raid0 soon to be backed up on to 2 SATA 2 1TB Drives running
off a SATA 300 Promise controller.

2. Intel Pentium D 820 (dual core 2.8GHz) based desktop with 1GB ram and
on-board sata 150 running a 240GB SATA drive (more drives and memory will be
added). The P5LP-LE motherboard (
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us )
supports VT chips so at some point we may upgrade this box to Intel VT cpu
(I am not sure if I will have to reinstall the VT enabled Xen at that point
or not).

Eventually I would like to run a mix of:
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/24435/ and http://xgu.ru/wiki/Xenomips/en
and have the ability to move live machines from the ML570 to the Desktop 820
D system at night to save on power.

**************************************

For now I would be happy with a solid partition recommendation to get me
started on the way to these goals.

I will start with the Desktop D 820 system with Etch running as Dom0 on a
250GB SATA drive.

I would like to eventually have a GUI access to managing Xen DomUs so I
thought I would mention this encase a 3GB root partition (
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1 )  would be too small.

Keeping all above in mind what would be the recommended partition scheme for
the 250GB drive?

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

=)