Re: [Xen-users] Bonding & xenbr0

Hi,

I assume your switches expect another protocol. Depending on the
mode parameter of the bonding module NICs are getting different or
same MAC.

Did you encounter the problem without a bridge on bond0?

cheers

Stephan

Gerhard Spiegl schrieb:
Hi List!

This is my first post on this list so let me say hello to all here!

I'm trying to set up HA xen VMs on RHEL 5.2 with Red Hat Cluster Suite.
XEN version used is original Red Hat packaged xen-3.0.3-64.el5_2.1.

Setup is the following:

eth0 + eth1 ==> bond0  (public interface, connected to two core switches with
one vlan)
eth2  (private interface connected to rack mounted 100Mbit switch for cluster
interconnect)
      (this will be eth2 + eth3 ==> bond1 in future)

The xen network is working fine after adding "netdev=bond0" to the
(network-script ...) line
in xend-config.sxp - no other changes were made.

But: Yesterday the network administrator complained about error messages in the
switch logs caused by multiple interfaces having MAC address FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
since
XEN was set up.
The only public interface with a configured IP is bond0 with the MAC of
enslaved eth0
so why is this strange MAC (FE:FF..) seen on the switch? We are also wondering
why
eth0 and eth1 do have this MAC. Is there an issue with bonding and xen bridging?

Output of ifconfig is attached, if you need more information, please let me
know.

I would be pleased if anyone could point me to a right direction - google
didn't help.

regards
Gerhard

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 wÃrzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht wÃrzburg, hra 5054