RE: [Xen-users] Windows HVM domain, next problem

Hi

> 1) I don't know if the cdrom= line is available in hvm config files.

Tried with cdrom= and with 2 devices, both don't work.

> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/raid/windows,hda,w' ,
> 'tap:aio:/root/w2k3.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

Still the same problem.

> you might also try
> replacing tap:aio with file, though I think tap:aio is the
> newer way.

Trying file instead of tap:aio it hangs on create.

>  I only mention these possibilities because I
> don't know what you have and haven't tried.  I have never
> used ioemu or tap:aio, so I don't know about performance
> ramifications regarding those settings.

Neither do I.
Right now, performance is not a problem, I cannot get it to even boot once.

> 3) I don't know that you can use ip= in vif= lines.  Also,
> you may need to specify the bridge with bridge= in the vif=
> line.  Especially given that "bridge xenbr100 does not
> exist!"  Additionally, I don't use type=ioemu on my vif.

Thats what I do in my PV linux domUs, as I use routed networking instead of
bridged.
Therefor I have NO bridge to connect to.

> 4) I don't know if it is important, but my hvm scripts all
> start with this (above kernel=):
> import os, re
> arch = os.uname()[4]
> if re.search('64', arch):
>     arch_libdir = 'lib64'
> else:
>     arch_libdir = 'lib'

This local variable is usually later used to compose the path to qemu like
this:
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

As on my system there is only '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm' though it is 64bit
(ubuntu hardy) I removed that unnessessary section.

> 5) If your xend-config.sxp has vnclisten="127.0.0.1" you will
> need to either change that to vnclisten="0.0.0.0" or put
> vnclisten="0.0.0.0" in the domU config file in order to
> connect to vnc from a remote machine (which you obviously
> need to do since the dom0 is text only).

No.
I want vnc to bind to 127.0.0.1 only, as I forward vnc through ssh.

> 6) serial='pty' is included in my configs (it is in the
> examples, but not a default setting).  You might want to use
> this so you can a) install Windows Server via the "serial
> port" (find documentation at MS) or b) use the "serial port"
> for its disaster recovery capabilities (once again, find
> documentation at MS, don't remember what this is called and
> it has been a long time since I've done an Windows Server
> stuff involving headless
> machines)

I tried adding this one, but it doesn't change anything.

> I'm no expert, so all I can say in addition to this is good
> luck, I mean, it is certainly possible that you could try all
> of my relevant suggestions and still have no more luck
> getting the domain created.

Could you send me one of your complete hvm config files?

Regards,
  Steffen