Re: [Xen-users] Still un-answered: How-To build Xen (3.2) to override XenSource's linux-kernel (2.6.18) with a xenified kernel (your own or distribution)

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 15:22 -0700, Jithendra Bethur wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can say that I have searched the entire 'world wide web' and still
> haven't found 'complete  and clear answers' to the often asked
> question of:
>
> Given a Xen (release) build (say 3.2.0), which by default tries to get
> and build and assume Linux kernel-xen 2.6.18 from the mercurial
> repository, HOW TO override the build and make it work with a
> 'different' xenified Linux source tree (kernel-xen) say Fedora Core 8
> kernel-xen 2.6.23.7-3.fc8-xen.src.rpm

If you are using a pre-patched kernel from a distribution, your better
off building that independently from Xen. Why not just build the
Hypervisor and tools while skipping the kernel?

make XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arch xen
make XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arch tools
make XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arch install-xen
make XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arch install-tools

... of course add docs to that if you want them.

Then build / configure your kernel outside of the Xen source tree, via
whatever means your packager provides.

I use Ubuntu's Hardy and Intrepid kernel trees which (1) requires Git
and (2) uses the debuild / debian helpers.. its very impractical to try
to include it in the Xen build because many extra steps are needed.

You will still easily be able to produce .deb / .rpm packages of your
own if you use the 'checkinstall' utility or something similar.

Regards,
--Tim