Re: [Xen-users] Boot fails unless "noacpi" option is present.

Vahid,

Which brand & model motherboard do you have, which BIOS version is installed and which CPU are you using?

Cheers,
Daniel

Vahid Kazempour wrote:
Hello,

I am using Xen 3.2.1 and I cannot boot it on my machine unless I use the noacpi option. As far as I know noacpi option is incompatible with SMP, so I must not use it, because my machine is SMP.

I am describing the problem in more detail below. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I downloaded Xen 3.2.1 official source distribution tarball from http://www.xen.org/download/ and used mercurial to fetch the xen-ified linux-2.6.18-xen.hg kernel from Xensource Mercurial repository http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg. These are the latest versions of the Xen and the xen-ified linux kernel. I didn't modify these sources, however I modified the config files.

I made changes in config file to enable cpu frequency scaling support in the downloaded kernel. To activate cpu frequency scaling you need to enable CONFIG_CPU_FREQ in dom0's config file. The original kernel do not provide a config file so I used a existing config file from my working linux (I have OpenSUSE 11 working on my machine with linux-2.6.25.5 kernel) and copied it as .config file in the source tree and then ran the make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig and changed the options to configure it for the Xen (i.e. I changed the Power Managment Support and chose CPU Frequency Scaling, add SATA disk drivers to the kernel and etc.). I am attaching the new config file as well as the diff file between existing config file from my working linux and this new config file.

After I compiled the Xen 3.2.1, the xen hypervisor image and dom0 kernel image were created. I installed them on my running OpenSUSE 11. ÂI copied the created images and specified them in grub to boot in Xen Linux. The grub menu entry here is as follows:

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux-2.6.18.8-xen###
title XEN -- openSUSE 11.0 - 2.6.18.8-xen
ÂÂÂ root (hd0,3)
ÂÂÂ kernel /boot/xen.gz
ÂÂÂ module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS5416_SB22DBKGHE9T6N-part4 resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent showopts vga=0x314
ÂÂÂ module /boot/initrd-2.6.18.8-xen

When I try to boot the system with "noacpi" option, it boots just fine. However, when I omit the noacpi option, the system prints the following warnings and then just hangs:

EPI: [<c0252a31>] input_register_device+0xc7/
0x260 SS:ESP 0069:ed301cdc
udevd event[1685]:run-program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

Do you have any ideas how I could address this problem or point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

--
Vahid

Daniel Kao