Re: [Xen-users] Migrating from -xen guest kernel to unmodified guest kernel

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:18:36 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:19:17 -0700

Tom Haddon wrote:
I'd then boot into it and install grub, shut it down, change the config
to use hvmloader, and then boot again. Does this sound sane?
Pretty much so.
Part of the reason I need to avoid just building a new unmodified kernel
guest from scratch is that I can't seem to get console access to the xen
guest when it's using hvm (I think this isn't supported from what I can
see)
If I were you I'd simply install from scratch.
I used HVM to install opensolaris under linux once. I was able to access its serial console using this xen config :

serial='pty'

that way you can "xm console"-it just like a PV domain.
There are other complications though : You need to follow the same procedure (for the HVM domU) as if you have a real machine with both VGA card and serial port, and you want to use only the serial port. In my case, when the opensolaris installer boots, initially the output is only on VGA console (accessible using vnc). I have to choose "install using serial port" (or something like that), and after that all output is on the serial port (accessible using xm console).

, and I don't have firewall access to be able to get to the server
on a vnc port.

AFAIK you should be able to use TCP/X forwarding with ssh for vnc/SDL console.

Regards,

Fajar