RE: [Xen-users] mail server on a xen guest?

John Haxby wrote:

> RAID5 isn't going to be good for mail: a lot of the disk-writes are
> going to be very small and there are going to be a hell of a lot of
> them, especially with that kind of incoming load.   Actually, with that
> kind of incoming load I don't think you're going to want to run the mail
> server on anything other than the bare metal anyway: virtual machines
> work well when you have servers that are individually relatively lightly
> loaded and it doesn't look as though yours is.

While I agree RAID5 isn't the best choice, the choice to virtualize
is sound. 10K emails a day is nothing. 10,000K emails an hour is
a different story, but if you start virtualizing your mail servers
now you can keep adding mail servers to accommodate increasing load
without having to build out spectacularly big data centers, and be
able to add redundancy and spread load evenly.

RAID10 is the way to go for just about everything except streaming media
and generic flat file servers.

-Ross