[Xen-users] controlling /proc/cpuinfo

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Venefax" <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:57:32 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:59:35 -0700

I need to control what the machine shows and /proc/cpuinfo. For example, my
virtual machine shows 8 CPU's, but I think that these look like independent
CPU's to the apps. I need to change this to look like they are two cpu's and
4 cores per cpu. I need this because my software licensing requires this
scheme and also because it is actually true, I have four physical CPU's and
4 cores each.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2925.864
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5863.85
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2925.864
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 4
siblings        : 1
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5863.85
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2925.864
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 6
siblings        : 1
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5863.85
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2925.864
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5863.85
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 4
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 2925.864
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 2
siblings        : 1
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5863.85
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

[...]

[...]