[Xen-users] Hypervisor hanging while booting processors?

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Styles <george@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 05:31:50 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 02:32:31 -0700

Hi,

Ive installed Xen 3.2.1 on a Ubuntu 8.04 server 64 bit install, on a Mac Pro (early 2008) 8 core Xeon machine. I had some fun and games enabling the VTX support (Apple doesnt turn it on in their 'odd' efi bios, but they dont lock it off either, so you can use the msr module to enable it, and its then on until you next remove power...)

About half the time when I boot it up, the Xen hypervisor comes up perfectly, and I can start Dom0 and DomU's with no trouble (its well fast as well!)

But, about one time in 2, the Xen hypervisor itself hangs during the booting of the 8 CPUs. It varies how far it gets, but I get something like:

(typed in by hand from a photo of the hang)

(XEN) System RAM: 10230MB (10475640kB)

(XEN) Xen heap: 14MB (14720kB)

(XEN) Domain heap initialidef : DMA width 32 bits

(XEN) Processor #0 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #1 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #2 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #3 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #6 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #7 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #5 7:7 APIC version 20

(XEN) Processor #4 7:7 APIC version 20

Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 2 I/O APICs

Using scheduler: SMP Credit Scheduler (credit)

Detected 2793.080 MHz processor

HVM: VMX enabled

CPU0: INtel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5462 @ 2.80GHz stepping 06

Booting processor 1/1 eip 8c000

CPU1: INtel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5462 @ 2.80GHz stepping 06

Booting processor 2/2 eip 8c000

(AND THEN IT HANGS)

Sometimes I get a different number of cores successfully booted, and like I said, about half the time, all 8 boot up properly...

Ive tried adding noapic to the grub line for the hypervisor (the xen.gz line, not the module line, as I dont think its got anywhere near booting dom0 at that point), and that hasnt helped.

Anyone seen this? known issue with 3.2.1? problem with Apple Mac Pro (which has a EFI bios, not a 'normal' bios, although I believe it emulates a normal bios).

thanks

George