Re: [Xen-users] Measure disk activity in full-virtualization.

  • To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Alain Barthe" <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:11:29 +0200
  • Cc: Alejandro Paredes <aleparedes@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:12:09 -0700

2008/7/22 Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>:

When you say VMWare Server, are you referring to ESX?

I talked about the actual VMWare Server (http://www.vmware.com/products/server/), which should be closed from VMWare Workstation.

We used VMWare workstation in that paper, ESX is a different animal altogether.

With Xen, no such a behaviour, isolation looks like much better. That why we migrated all our servers from VMWare to Xen.

Perhaps benchmarks don't always reflect the real world...

The workload matters a lot. The version of the software and hardware configurations can matter a lot too.

Sure, but concerning CPU isolation, I can't understand, theorically, that full virtualisation is better than para virtualisation. And our experiment confirms this. Can you explain this point ?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Todd

--