Re: [Xen-users] Xensource VM in Xen

  • To: Nicod <nicolas.daneau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:07:50 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:08:27 -0700

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Nicod <nicolas.daneau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently using XenSource Express 4.1 with 3 VM. As we need more domU
> (limited on 4 on XenSource Express) and as we need PCI passtrought (Asterisk
> FXO/S pci card) we plan to "migrate" to a Xen 3.2 install. The question is:
> can we can reuse the VM build in XenSource without any change??? I didn't
> found anything in wiki or faq regarding this point...

From:
http://support.citrix.com/article/ctx115815

Q: Can you convert a virtual machine (VM) from open source Xen to your products?

A: There is currently no automated mechanism to move VMs from open source Xen
to the XenServer commercial products. In the future the Open Virtual
Appliance (OVA)
 format will allow VMs to be moved between different Xen environments.

Citrix does have partners who are able to custom conversion work to
transfer open
source Xen virtual machines to the platform.

Bottom line is that currently you need to convert the disk image into
a format that
the open source Xen can use. Find out the file format that Xen Express
uses  (try
the file command in linux) and look into the qemu convert tool.

>From what I have read, the Open format support should be available Q4 2008

Let us know how it goes and if you run into any problems.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane