Re: [Xen-users] Re: creating a xen failover with lookback images

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Daniel Asplund" <danielsaori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:19:43 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:20:23 -0700

>> Hello,
>> i want to setup a VM which has another VM as failover.
>> We use images where we store the VM in.
>> Most people use drbd and heartbeat for this, is this the best solution
>> fors this?
>>
>> When I use XEN images, how do I have to define the image in drbd?
>>
>>  on ares.bluethings.net {
>>    device     /dev/drbd0;
>>    disk       /dev/sda5;
>>    address    172.16.6.2:7788;
>>    flexible-meta-disk  internal;
>>  }
>>
> Am I right that the guy in this
> http://marksitblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/mysql-5-high-availability-with-drbd-8.html
> guide is using drbd inside the VM to mirror the /dev/sda1 inside the VM?
>
> thx

Yeah, he is running DRBD inside the VM to allow for failover with
heartbeat of the VMs.

I believe using LVM, DRBD and heartbeat is the best solution for this,
it will give you a very flexible solution. I run this myself. Not
inside the VMs but on the Dom0 nodes. But the principle is the same
when configuring it. Cool solution would be to run a cluster both on
the Dom0s and inside the DomUs, maybe something to try. :)

Please have a look at my XEN cluster guide at:
http://www.asplund.nu/xencluster/xen-cluster-howto.html
It is not fully complete but maybe you can get some ideas about the DRBD setup.

Cheers, Daniel