[Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI - options and questions

Hello,

I have a small Xen farm of 8 dom0 servers with 64 virtual machines running
para-virtualized and this has been working great. Unfortunately, I've hit a
limit: my iSCSI hardware supports only 512 concurrent connections and so I'm
pretty much at the limit. (Wish I would have seen that problem sooner!)

Of course, 87% of those connections are idle-- but necessary because I need to
have every volume mounted everywhere for migrations, etc. (And I have some
utility scripts I wrote to handle migrations and load balancing using Xen-API,
so it's not an easy matter to simply connect to the iSCSI volumes as I need
them.)

I'm using stock Xen 3.2.1, btw. RPM that I compiled on a x86.

>From where I sit, I have several options, but I wanted to run this by the list
>to tell me what others have done in this situation:

1. "Just-in-time" iSCSI connections from the iSCSI layer. So, I'd have all of
my device nodes in /dev/devices/by-path/... and iSCSI would magically connect
to them properly when the device node is opened. Unfortunately, none of the
Linux iSCSI clients that I can find support this feature.

2. "Just-in-time" iSCSI connections from Xen. I found that SuSE's Xen seems to
do this with a "block-iscsi" script in /etc/xen/scripts, but it's written for
3.0 and doesn't seem to work in 3.2. The  trick is that I'm doing all of my Xen
management through the XMLRPC API and I don't see any way to do iSCSI mounts
there, so I suspect that their Xen 3.0 workaround doesn't actually mesh with
Xen 3.2's new way of doing things? (Otherwise, there would be a way to do it
through the API.)

3. Root-on-iSCSI boots for all the virtual hosts. This is messier, but I could
in theory change all 64 VMs to do root-on-iSCSI and (I presume) the iSCSI
connection that their local disks were on would be properly moved with a "xm
migrate". The downside is that RedHat Enterprise 5.1 doesn't make this easy and
I'm trying not to make this too hacky. (And would I need to have little volumes
for the iSCSI ramdisks? I haven't worked out how that scales yet.)

I think the best method is #2 and it seems like it SHOULD be possible. What am
I missing? How have others solved this dilemma?

Thanks for your help,

Joe Pranevich