RE: [Xen-users] gplpv 0.9.11-pre10 BSODs

> I stress tested it during a few days and performance were ok. I have
> noticed that it works very poorly when using weird block size, but
well,
> it is more than enough for normal use anyway.

Disk performance will do that. Linux requires that blocks are aligned to
a 512 byte boundary while Windows has no such requirement, and scsiport
(windows scsi interface) has some fairly harsh restrictions about what
you can do about it.

> So here is my issue : since it was performing ok, I wanted to give it
> try on a non mission critical app (a few users rdesktoping on a ms
> access front end connecting through odbc to a postgres database).
> Performance are ok and user experience is quite positive.
>
> However about once per day, I get a BSOD that not only freeze the
> windows domU, but also make the dom0 unusable (ie if I try to xm
create
> it just hang). The BSOD says (French localised screenshot attached) :
>
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> *** STOP : 0x000000D1 (0x00CA0B2C,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0x808877FA)
>
> I have not found a scenario for reproducing this error, actually it
just
> happen sometime in the day. It is not load related because the stress
> test where much heavier on ressources and never produced a BSOD.
>
> Is there any config file parameters that I should be carefull about ?
(I
> already removed the ioemu flag from the network card). Any advice or
> hint to get this Windows behaving nicely?

This should not happen no matter what configuration parameters you
specify.

0xD1 means that either the memory address is invalid, or that memory
that was swapped out was accessed while a spinlock was held or
something.

That second parameter being 0xFF seems really strange though... it
should be a maximum of 0x1F (31) under x32 and a maximum of 0x0F (15)
under x64.

Can you please turn on the driver verifier?

Run verifier.exe from start->run

Select 'Create custom settings' then Next
Select 'Select individual settings from a full list' then Next
Tick all but the last 3 options then Next
Select 'Select driver names from a list' then Next
Tick all the xen drivers (down the bottom of the list) then Finish

That should cause a BSoD as soon as the drivers do something that
_could_ cause a crash, and report it in a more useful way, rather than
waiting until the drivers _do_ something that causes a crash

Thanks

James