[Xen-users] Network receive performance of Xen

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Sahan Gamage" <sahans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:30:04 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:31:33 -0700

Hi All,

I am doing some experiments on network performance of Xen in
uniprocessor environment. I use both iperf and netperf to measure the
TCP transmit and receive performance of domU and I see some strange
asymmetric behavior. The other end of the TCP pipe in these scenarios
is a non-virtualized machine.  For transmit I can see about 900 Mbps
and for receive performance I can only see around 400 Mbps.
I searched the web and mailing lists regarding this issue. A
presentation I found [1] suggests I should see equal performance for
both Tx and Rx. But there are some questions in the mailing lists
which suggests otherwise [2], [3]

My machine setup is :
Processor : Intel P4 at 3Ghz (HT disabled)
Mem : 2GB
Dom0 and DomU OS : Debian Etch (Linux kernel 2.6.18-6 with Xen pathces)
Xen version: 3.0.3

Has anyone experienced same problem ? Is this a result of misconfiguration ?

Thanks in advance
-sahan

[1] http://xen.org/files/xensummit_fall07/16_JoseRenatoSantos.pdf
[2] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-06/msg00004.html
[3] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-04/msg00096.html

P.S: I tried most of the workarounds (changing the scheduler to EDF,
assigning priorities, changing txqueuelen on vifx.x)