From: Todd Deshane [mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2008 11:50 AM
To: Alan Lam
Cc: xen-users
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Setup

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,

> I am interested in deploying Xen to replace an existing Virtuozzo based

> virtual server solution we are currently using. However due to the

> differences in how it works etc., I would like some clarification on our

> proposed setup:

> Firstly, what is the recommended OS for running Xen? We are thinking of

> using 32bit CentOS 5 as the dom0 OS and probably CentOS 5 domUs as well.

CentOS base and CentOS guests are well-supported and known to work.

There really isn't a recommended OS, it is more a matter of preference.

It may also matter what support, applications or scenarios you hope to

achieve, but more likely it is a matter a preference.

> Secondly, due to using a 32bit OS, technically we'd be limited to using 4GB

> ram in the server but I have read Xen is capable of utilising PAE on 32bit

> systems to utilise more than 4GB ram. So in this case, we would like to use

> 8GB of ram to split up amongst the Xen VPSes. Will this be fine? Or will Xen

> not utilise the full 8GB available?

Xen 32bit + PAE  on CentOS supported up to 16 GB of RAM last I heard and

saw in the CentOS virtualization docs.

Xen will reserve a small amount for the management domain and the hypervisor

itself, the rest can be used for guests.

> Lastly, we need to be able to "upgrade" and "downgrade" a VPS's disk space

> easily. Under Virtuozzo all we need to do is change the number of disk

> blocks allocated and reboot the VPS. Can we do something similar with Xen,

> for instance using LVM partitions? I have read you can either allocate a

> normal non-LVM partition, a LVM partition or a file based partition as the

> "disk" for the VPS. I am looking for a way to easily increase or decrease

> the space a VPS has without having to be fiddling with partition tables and

> resizing manually using fdisk.

Xen can work similarly with LVM partitions.

I am curious about the application load, is it disk intensive?

Also, are you switching to Xen to gain performance isolation properties?

For simply pure performance I would expect openVZ to be better in general,

but if you need the isolation properties and performance, then Xen is a good

choice.

Hope that helps,

Todd

--