[Xen-users] lock domU file backed vbd's?

  • To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Wayde Nie <xen@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:00:15 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:53:49 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to implement some sort of
interlock so that a VM with a file-backed vbd can only be started on one
node at any given time? I haven't had much luck with Google or the
archive searches so far...

Some background:

I've got a 2 node setup based on Debian Etch and the stock Debian Xen
3.0.3. Each node has local storage connected together in an
active-active drbd8 cluster with osfs2 and I'm using file backed vdb's
on the shared storage for my domU's.

I can start a domU on either node and live migration is working great.
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any locking done on the file
backed vbd's which makes it a bit to easy to start a VM on both nodes at
the same time (trashing the disk file in the process...)

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Wayde.