Re: [Xen-users] Xen HDD failure - Migration

Sadique Puthen wrote:
Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
Alexander Hoßdorf wrote:
Mihai Tanasescu schrieb:
Hello all,

I just started experimenting with XEN and ran into problems 1 month afterwards.

I had it on a single hard-disk system and the disk started failing.
I managed to copy /etc/xen and /home/xen (with the image files for each virtual machine I had) to some remote storage.

Now I reinstalled the machine on a RAID 1 enabled system and copied the files back.

Configuration looks the following in /etc/fstab:

[root@robu076pps mnt]# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

but if I try to start one of the old virtual machines (after modifying initrd and kernel parameters to the actual xen ones in this system) I get:

Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
no block devices found
failed to stat() /dev/mapper/nvidia_adcabaef
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  No volume groups found
Activating logical volumes
  Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.

Afterwards the Virtual Machine stops.

Can someone help me on how to troubleshoot this ?
I'm trying to avoid reinstalling the affected systems completely.

Thanks,
Mihai

Hi,

could you show us your VM configuration file please?

Cheers,
Alex

For example one of the VM:

#  Kernel + memory size
#
kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5xen'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.el5xen.img'
memory      = '512'

#
#  Disk device(s).
#
root        = '/dev/hda2 ro'
disk        = [
'file:/home/xen/domains/robu094vps.airbites.ro/swap.img,hda1,w', 'file:/home/xen/domains/robu094vps.airbites.ro/disk.img,hda2,w',
             ]

Why don't use tap:aio and xvda1. Obviously should have the below modules mapped by the guests' modprobe.conf.

alias eth0 xennet
alias scsi_hostadapter xenblk

--Sadique

I used these before (afterwards I tried with the file handle).

Still the system fails before loading the virtual machine.

#  Hostname
#
name        = 'robu094'

#
#  Networking
#
vif         = [ 'ip=192.168.20.45,mac=00:16:3E:FC:C7:A8' ]

#
#  Behaviour
#
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

extra = '2 console=xvc0'

The image file exists in that directory ( I checked ).

On the old machine the setup had a software raid (md0 device) and this VM Xen running on it. On the new machine I have one of those nvidia fake RAID and Centos automatically made volume groups using LVM.

Those are the only differences.

Any idea ?