From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Luca Lesinigo
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 22:50
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] network setup for HVM guests

Hello there.

I'm used to xen with paravirtualized guests and am now starting to
play with HVM guests.

When creating an HVM guest I noted that Xen will create two new
network interfaces in Dom0: the usual vifX and a new tapY.
The vif one can be renamed as usual with vifname= in the config file,
and gets added by xen scripts to the corresponding bridge interface
(bridge=blah in config). Little problem is, no traffic appears on this
interface.
The interface actually 'connected' to the HVM guest is the tap one,
which gets a name not associated with the domain id, name or config
and doesn't get added to the bridge.

Is this expected behavior in one way or another? How do you people
deal with bridged networking and HVM guests (eg. how do you add
interfaces to bridges and/or iptables) ?

Thanks,
--
Luca Lesinigo