Re: [Xen-users] DomU ethernet speed?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Simon Gottschlag <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So it just depends on the physical card?

no, it's totally detached from the card.

what the DomU sees and the hypervisor manages goes only to the Dom0.
there usually it's routed/NAT'ed/bridged to some physical card, but
that's not DomU's business.

> It's just that I've been experiencing that it takes longer time to load
> rar-archives etc via samba and transferring files from my server now when
> it's a virtual machine. It's still the same hardware, just that I've made it
> into a domU.
> Is this just something in my head or is it really going slower?

usually virtual machines are slower than bare metal.  how much slower
depends on lots of factors. (maybe 5% slower, maybe 400% or more)

--
Javier