Re: [Xen-users] Re: Upgrading xen from CentOS 5.0 to 5.2

On Thursday 21 August 2008, Alain Barthe wrote:
> 2008/8/20 Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I don't have any idea about these problems. Ideally you should be able to
> > migrate back to lower minor versions provided that the major version
> > remains the same. ie, 5.2 -> 5.0.
> >
> > I am just wondering what is preventing you from updating/upgrading the
> > COS 5.0 system directly to 5.2 as vendors of these operating systems
> > provide 99% guarantee not to break anything through such updates.
>
> Nothing prevent us from upgrading our dom0 to CentOS5.2. We simply want to
> plan this upgrade so that no domU has to be shut down. The fact a domU can
> or can not be live migrated from the new version to the old one is
> important for this plan.

Alain,

I can see your problem.  I am not sure that the save-restore / live migration
protocol is guaranteed to stay the same between Xen versions.  Certainly a
typical Xen deployment uses the same hypervisor / tools version on all the
dom0 systems.

I can absolutely see why the ability to live migrate to a different version
would be useful like this.  I couldn't guarantee that it's *expected* to
work, though (although I can't say for sure that it isn't, sorry).

Cheers,
Mark