Re: [Xen-users] Dell 2950 III for Xen virtualization

On 2008-08-25 17:45, Nick Jones wrote:
I just wanted to see if anyone has experience running Xen on:

Dell 2950 III
2 x Quad 2.0 Ghz 1333Mhz FSB
32 GB DDR2 (8x4GB)
2 Disk Perc RAID 1 (7200 RPM SAS)
Broadcom Dual Gigabit Ethernet LOM & TOE
[snip]

Xen works well on a similar configuration I use (2.83GHz CPUs, 16GB memory, 6-disk RAID 5).

You might feel a little tight on I/O bandwidth with only a 2-disk 7.2KRPM RAID 1. If you're using slower disks, it's better to have more of them. Note also that the new PERC 6 controllers support RAID 6 (dual parity).

One thing I would recommend is to leave the first NIC port dedicated to IPMI so it can live on a management LAN. With IPMI you can remotely control power and boot priority, monitor system temperatures, and access the console. This is all provided by the baseboard management controller; you do *not* need a DRAC for all of this, although a DRAC also has a built-in KVM. The KVM is mostly superfluous though once you get the IPMI serial console working. It's good to keep the IPMI interface on its own network with restricted access, though, for better security.

If you need more than one NIC, I recommend the dual- or quad-port Intel NICs.

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo
<ogata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  http://www.antibozo.net/ogata/

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo