Re: [Xen-users] problem with extra storage via iscsi

Gertjan Oude Lohuis wrote:
No, the domU keeps working, I think because all partitions are already mounted when open-iscsi starts.

I figured out why /dev/sda is assigned to the LUN. This is a part from the domU configurationfile:

root    = '/dev/sda1 ro'
disk = [ 'phy:xen-images/loghost-disk,sda1,w', 'phy:xen-images/loghost-swap,sda2,w', 'phy:xen-images/loghost-remotelogs,sda3,w', '
phy:xen-images/loghost-httplogs,sda4,w' ]

As you can see, only sda1 through sda4 are used, but sda is not. Mystery solved.

Step two: what to do next:
1. Alter configuration file and add a phony /dev/sda, so that udev will give my LUN (hopefully) another name 2. Alter complete setup: assign only a /dev/sda to the domU and partition it inside the domU 3. Configure the LUN as /dev/sda, hoping that partitions made on the LUN will not conflict with existing /dev/sda[1-4] 4. Figure out a way to have udev assign another name than /dev/sda (eg sd[b-z])

Any suggestions? Are there best practices for a situation like this, or more in general: partitioning for domU?

Regards, Gertjan