Re: [Xen-users] first time w/ XEN - Looking for some advise

  • To: "Charlie Reddington" <charlie.reddington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:59:12 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:59:50 -0700

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Charlie Reddington
<charlie.reddington@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a server that I can use to work with XEN on. It's a dell poweredge
> 1950, 64 bit 2.6ghz, single quad core cpu. Has about 2 GB of ram, and 1XX GB
> in a raid 5 setup.
>
> I've been reading and trying to gather what is the best way to set this up.
> My questions....

I'll take a shot at a couple of them, that I have personal experience with.

I'll leave the other ones for others to give their insights.

> 1.) What's the best say to setup the Raid for this? Is Raid 5 Ideal? (I have
> a 4 disk setup - currently 3 disks are part of the raid 5 w/ 1 being a
> hotspare).

Raid Levels often depend on workload and also the nature of the data being
protected. Others can probably give more insight, but I am sure you can also
find Raid advices all over the internet.

> 2.) What is the communities take on using CentOS 5 - x86_64 for the base OS?
>  Is there anything that the base install really needs? I generally try to
> shy away from installing Gnome/KDE/X on my servers as to reclaim some
> resources, but the idea of having a GUI to install this stuff would make
> things more simple I would think.

CentOS 5 x86_64 has worked well in my personal experience. Typically it is
recommended to use the Virt-Manager GUI, but it is not necessary to do so.
You can get away with all command line if no X is desired. You even still have
remote management options through virt-manager remotely, web-based solutions,
and other client based solutions.

> 3.) I've read about having a separate LVM for the virtual machines and one
> for your OS. Is this really the best way? I understand the reason for the
> LVM, so you can add more storage as you need it, but do you really need two?

You don't have to, it is often recommended for the flexibility of LVM,
but this can
also be a matter of personal preference depending on your performance,
flexibility,
etc. needs.

> 4.) My last question for now is , if your running an x86_64 system, are you
> limited to running only 64 bit OS's or like any machine you can still
> install x86 with no problems?

No, you can run both 64 bit and 32 bit systems.

Hope that helps.

> Thank you for any help,

Welcome and I am sure that you will get other useful answers from others in the
community.

Cheers,
Todd

--