Re: [Xen-users] Converting VMWare Machine with SCSI disks

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 20:35 +0100, Andrew Lyon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've used this document as a guide for converting systems to xen domUs.
> > http://ian.blenke.com/vmware/vmdk/xen/hvm/qemu/vmware_to_xen_hvm.html
> >
> > If the VMWare machine has IDE drives this works well. If the VMWare
> > machine has SCSI drives, I don't think I've gotten any of them to work.
> > I currently have two Win2k servers and now a win2k3 server that I've
> > tried converting.
>
> Are you sure you followed  Microsoft kb314082 correctly? You only
> actually need to add the intel section to the registry.

Yes, pretty sure I have followed the doc correctly, but I will go back
over it and make sure.

> Perhaps its a HAL issue? My target Xen vm has two cpus so I made sure
> that the Computer driver was set to ACPI Multiprocessor.

I've tried a couple different ones following Ian's doc, but I will also
retry this. Mine are all single CPU.

> I have done this process several times to p2v windows 2003 servers
> using a rather convoluted method of using vmware converter to import
> the physical install to a vmware vm, booting it once in vmware,
> following  Microsoft kb314082, and then converting the vmdk to Xen
> disk, once booted in Xen I have installed the GPLPV drivers.

I've done this same method. On the IDE systems has worked fine. I'll try
the above and report back if I have any success.

Thanks,
James